Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The Artist's Way, Again



Just recently I became tired of not having much direction as far as my writing goes. I'd been getting little signals that I should go back and do The Artist's Way again, but had every excuse happening. The more excuses I made the more I realised I needed to do it. So, last week, Monday morning I rose early and got stuck into those boring old morning pages. The weirdest thing was it felt like coming home.

There's something about doing the morning pages that brings a low hum of energy to my days. I hadn't realised how much I'd missed it. I've been doing the book, the 12 week course, but I'm feeling like some of the exercises are redundant. This will be the third time I've done this book. I'm trying to work out if all I needed was the morning pages or to slog through with the course again.

I'll keep you updated on what I end up doing, but please share your thoughts on doing the book or any other book to inspire your creativity.

Heather
Cover of The Artist's Way, photo no my own
Click here to visit Planet SARK.

2 comments:

  1. I love doing anything from Julia Cameron. I have neglected my morning pages as well, and am wondering if I should return...perhaps this will inspire me? I hope so :) Good to see you, O

    ReplyDelete
  2. After hearing so much praise about the book I finally ended up snagging a copy. I think most people are attracted to the book because of the promotion of the morning pages exercise. I found as I read through the others exercises that I didn't really need them. Maybe this is because I'm looking to improve my writing, as opposed to my visually artistic abilities. In any event, I gave the morning pages a shot and discovered two potent personal revelations regarding them. The first, much to my dismay, is that I cannot do morning pages. I got up early and sat down to write. But what I discovered is that if I'm awake enough to sit up and write then I'm far too awake to write subconsciously. However, this is also a boon as it means I don't have to get up extra early to do them - I can write anytime of day. I think that sitting down and dumping three pages worth of brain clutter, whether filtered or not, is a really good exercise. I'm glad I started doing it and I did notice an increase in creativity. Now if only I could get back to doing them ;).

    ReplyDelete